So much to explore in Stockbridge, MA and surrounding areas in the Berkshires !! … there’s the arts (theater, music, dance, culinary arts), outdoor recreation (hiking! and canoeing) and rest & relaxation! The towns of Stockbridge, Lee and Lenox, and neighboring towns of Great Barrington and Pittsfield (and more), are packed with fun! Lee is referred to as the “Gateway to the Berkshires” and there are a variety of restaurants there including Peruvian, Vietnamese, Mexican, French and American. Frank, the owner and chef, at Chez Nous in Lee, says the area is “abuzz” Memorial weekend to Columbus Weekend.
TRAVEL: From Chester, CT to Stockbridge takes just under 2 hours (110 miles)
WHAT TO BRING: jacket for cooler weather, camera, comfortable walking shoes
HIGHLIGHTS TO VISIT / EXPERIENCE:
(1) In Stockbridge: Norman Rockwell Museum …Chesterwood (studio of sculptor Daniel French) …Chiluly Gallery
(2) in Lenox: Edith Wharton’s House called “The Mount” (open 10-5p) thru October … Tanglewood for music (in Summer especially) … Shakespeare and Company … and Ventfort Hall which holds a Medieval Faire in October
(3) in Becket: Jacob’s Pillow for dance performances (summer)
(4) Pittsfield: the Berkshire Theater Group
(5) North Adams – Mass Moca Museum of Contemporary Art
(6) Outdoor Recreation: Heritage walks … resources for gear include Lenox Outfitters (Arcadia Shop) for canoes, plus other outfitters with bikes & skis … explore scenic destinations like Goose Pond and Laurel Lake and Monument Mountain or Mount Greylock (the highest point in MASS at 3491’) …Butternut ski resort is in GreatBarrington
HAPPENINGS IN NEARBY LEE:
(1) “Founders Weekend” in late September
(2) The Josh Billing Triathlon, the oldest Triathlon in th
U.S. and includes biking, running and canoeing.
(1) The Inn at Stockbridge: country charm and elegance with innkeepers Jeff and Lisa.You’ll feel like you’re sleeping on a cloud there! … Cheese and wine is served for guest arrival early evening. Enjoy a fitness center, pool and/or massage. Delicious Breakfast served at 8:30. The Inn at Stockbridge is just a short drive from the village.
(2) Red Lion Inn … within the historical district of Stockbridge … LIVE music … family-friendly … spa … fitness center
(3) Butternut Basin: a ski resort in Great Barrington, Massachusetts, is located on Warner Mountain